Monday, September 17, 2007

A question for Queep

The greatest part about Saturday's victory over Tennessee was not the 59 points we put up on them, nor was it the fact that it boosted us to #3 in the polls. The greatest part was not the fact that now we are recognized as a force to be recognized in the SEC. No, the greatest part was the fact that I was sitting in church orchestra rehearsal during most of the game (and recording it on DVR to watch later). Let me explain. (I'll get to the question for Uncle Pete in a minute.)

The orchestra leader, Jim, is a huge Tennessee fan. (In Savannah, everyone was a UGAly Bulldog fan. Here, we have fans of Florida, Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, Alabama, FSU, and even a few who admit to pulling for GA Tech. It makes football season a lot more fun -- although shaming the UGAly fans never gets old. But I digress. Back to Jim and the orchestra.) Jim was sitting next to me, playing trombone. He kept getting text messages during rehearsal, and I kept telling him, "Don't tell me." He didn't. But he had this smug look on his face, and I kept thinking, "Man, we didn't look too good in the 1st quarter, then I had to leave. I hope they're not beating the mess out of us."

Then I went home. Tammy had watched the game, but she is great about showing NO EMOTION in her face until after I get to watch. (What a great woman she is!) So I watched the game, cheered as if it were live (only I got to FF through the commercials), etc. It was great.

So, Sunday morning came, and I came in and sat down next to Jim. He flinched and said, "Oh, sorry...I thought you were going to keep beating up on me!" Now, that was GREAT! I didn't even have to say anything! Only problem was I had to wear RED (blech) because that was the color of the day for "platform volunteers," which includes those of us in the "orchestra." (It's really a band - the only strings come from a synthesizer. But "orchestra" sounds a lot more proper.)

Yep....gotta love college football. Let the gloating continue!!!

OK, so, on to my question for Pete Crawford.
Q: What is the deal with THIS guy?

5 comments:

Laura said...

OMG Hank! I can't believe you found a picture of him! We watched the game over at Rachel's and they KEPT SHOWING HIM over and over --we kept saying the same thing...What is WITH hime?!?
...it was a good game, though, especially since Pete's little sister is at Louisville.

Laura said...

in case you didn't know the alternate spelling of him has a silent 'e'.

Redhead Runner said...

Okay, look......Kentucky Football tries to be a nice, humanitarian organization, and let local kids with palsy (or some other weird disease that makes you flail about and make weird faces involuntarily), and you go and make fun of him on the internet. He's just the clipboard boy for crying out loud....let him have his spastic moment of jubilation.

Tuba, or not tuba ... that is the question said...

I bet YOU had a spastic moment of celebration, too! When I saw that highlight, I thought, "Man, I bet Pete Crawford is doing the EXACT SAME THING right now!"

Redhead Runner said...

Laura and I sang the UK fight song in 4 part harmony (just the two of us), and then we put in our billy-bob teeth and went off to party with all the other yokels that drive in for the game every week. Nothing says "fun times on saturday night" like tippin' back a couple of PBR's with some other Kentucky Fans...........no, really, I was busy laughing at that guy on TV myself.