Saturday, February 2, 2008

A day in the kitchen

What a day.... I have been in the kitchen pretty much all day (but it was so much fun!). Tomorrow night we're having friends over to watch the Super Bowl, so I have been doing as much prepwork as possible for my snack/meal. I'm making the yummy spinach dip in a bread bowl, crab/cheesy bites and some wings. But before I started all those dishes, I made a dish that I am brining to church tomorrow morning. I found the recipe in Paula Deen's magazine. It's not her recipe, but I figured any friends of hers who submitted recipes, had to be good! So - here it is and it's georgious if you want something that comes out pretty too :)

Strawberry Coffee Cake (makes 12 servings)

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds (I used pecans)

Prehead oven to 350. Lightly greast a 9x13 baking pan. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar at medium speed till fluffy. Gradually beat in milk, eggs and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to cream cheese mixture, beating until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Place strawberries evenly over batter. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and almonds (I used pecans). Sprinkle evenly over strawberries. Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares and serve.

I haven't officially tried it yet as I have to wait till tomorrow - but the batter was sooo yummy and when it was done, it smelled up the house something fantastic!!! Enjoy

1 comments:

jenni said...

if its so pretty how come I don't see any pictures .. hmmm???
:D Sounds thunder-thigh-licious (as does most of paula's/paula's friends recipes) and OOH so yummy!